Subject: Re: [boost] [Master project] Switch from Trac to another Bug-tracking-system
From: Klaim - Joël Lamotte (mjklaim_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-04-25 12:38:39

On Sat, Apr 25, 2015 at 6:04 PM, Rob Stewart <rob.stewart_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> On April 25, 2015 9:31:56 AM EDT, "Klaim - Joël Lamotte" <
> mjklaim_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> >
> > - RedMine is a better TRAC on all fronts except workflows are not as
> > flexible.
>
> What is it can't be done with Redmine?

Last time I checked (4-5 years ago, but from what I read it didn't change
yet)
the workflow system in Redmine wasn't as flexible as TRAC one because
Redmine organise
workflows as a state machine (table of relationship between events and
states, more or less like boost.msm)
while TRAC use a directed graph of states expressed using a dsl in a config
file.
In most cases you don't see the difference (except TRAC require modifying a
file).
You see the need if you setup a very complex workflow with
custom preconditions for each state, which can happen in some kind of
complex organisations but it's not very common.

>From what I understand from the current Boost TRAC workflow config, it
would not be a required feature at all.

TRAC also have a way to customize the state changes buttons to be displayed
action sentences instead of having
just combo boxes to change states like RedMine.
For example if you have a ticket on state "in-progress" in redmine,
you have to open the combo box in the ticket to chose between other states
like "fixed" or "wontfix" or "rejected".
In TRAC you can make it display actions in a ticket as action sentences
like "Mark this bug as fixed. (switch 'fixed' state)",
"Reject this bug. (switch to 'rejected' state)", "We will not fix this bug.
(switch to 'wontfix')".
Long time ago I made a ticket to RedMine to add the same feature (couldn't
help with Ruby at the time) but I don't think
they did it yet.
It's a usability feature which help guiding new users trying to use the
tracking system, but it's far from critical.
And I would say it would be the only advantage of TRAC compared to other
tools as of today, so it's not really a feature to consider.