Subject: Re: [boost] Windows XP support survey
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-05-06 19:55:52

On 6 May 2015 at 23:29, Stephan T. Lavavej wrote:

> [Niall Douglas]
> > VS2015 is looking like it's a quantum leap over previous releases.
>
> On a related note, if there are compiler/CRT/STL/etc. bugs in 2015 RC
> blocking Boost, we need to know NOW. We'll treat such bugs with high
> priority, but if they're reported too late then we won't be able to fix
> them in RTM, and fixing anything in Updates is harder and takes longer
> to ship.

You and your team already fixed all my showstoppers (template
aliasing, packed parameter parsing), including in that recent VS2013
update. I am very grateful. For the list's information, Stephan and
his wider team turned around those fixes in two weeks, very
impressive. You've made the APIBind technique fully functional on
MSVC which I hope will form the foundation of a C++11 only 100%
modular Boost 2.0 (c.f. my C++ Now presentation next week + shortly
to be released Handbook of C++ 11/14 Library Best Practices).

The only remaining big flaws for me are the lack of two phase lookup,
and that C++ 11 constexpr is pretty useless (which isn't Microsoft's
fault, but C++ 14 constexpr is enough not a headache to use to bother
with using).

BTW are you willing to document how your STL invokes the magic
Expression SFINAE support in MSVC? I understand you don't want people
using internal magic compiler hooks, but I can also see that some
Boost authors (I'm thinking Louis and his Boost.Hana) would be very
interested.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting