Subject: Re: [boost] Windows XP support survey
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-05-07 05:56:37

On 7 May 2015 at 10:34, Olaf van der Spek wrote:

> >> As far as I know this is false. 2013 and 2015 have _xp toolsets that
> >> allow building for XP..
> >
> > You may have missed my qualifier "nor by default".
>
> No I didn't. What does it mean though?
> A 'default' VS2013 install does have the _xp toolset and thus can
> build for XP if the user wants.
>
> Did you mean the _xp toolset isn't the default toolset?

I was working from deprecated knowledge where the XP compatible
toolset was previously an optional download installed after Visual
Studio.

VS2015 has first tier support for XP, so my argument that C++ 11
mandatory Boost libraries cannot work on XP is invalid. That removes
one reason to deprecate supporting XP in Boost.

Incidentally, feelings on XP support seem very muted this time round,
with everyone agreeing we should drop it after the next Boost
release. I admit surprise on the consensus.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting
http://www.nedproductions.biz/