Subject: Re: [boost] [ELFIO] - New library proposal
From: Stuart Dootson (stuart.dootson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-05-09 03:11:20

> On 8 May 2015, at 19:20, Antony Polukhin <antoshkka_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>> Hello Boost community!
>>
>> I'd like to determine interest in possible new library submission.
>> ELFIO is header-only C++ library that provides a simple interface for
>> reading and generating files in ELF binary format.
>> It is a mature library and is in use by a number of open source
>> and commercial projects. It is a part of some Linux distributions as well
>> as Cygwin project.
> <...>
>
>> Please share your opinion on making this library be a part of the Boost.
>
> HI,
>
> I've been investigating this library a few months ago. Unfortunately it
> supports only ELF file format, while I needed support for PE file format
> too. I've ended up with writing a less functional but portable class:
> http://apolukhin.github.io/Boost.DLL/boost/dll/library_info.html
>
> ELFIO library is good. But I'd love to see this library extended to support
> PE and MACH-O formats before Boost review. Without that library scope seems
> limited.
>
> P.S.: sorry for previous mail, keyboard seems to be very attractive to baby.
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Antony Polukhin

Absolutely agree -and I'd suggest it's not too tricky once a suitable abstraction is established. Looking at the interface between libdwarf & libelf might be a good starting point - I found adding a PE loader to libdwarf using a translation of its interface to libelf was quite simple, as it wasn't Elf-specific.

Stuart Dootson