Subject: Re: [boost] Some statistics about the C++ 11/14 mandatory Boost libraries
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-05-14 19:08:34

On 14 May 2015 at 18:58, Vinícius dos Santos Oliveira wrote:

> Still, many Boost libs are used, like date_time, string algo, string_ref
> and a few others.

When I reviewed your code I felt most of those uses were easily
replaced, and moreover doing so would improve the quality of your
code. I hope you don't mind me saying, but I felt some of your
choices were you experimenting with fun new tools rather than what
was the best solution (which is often the easiest and simplest
solution).

I'll wait to your community review to go into more detail. I didn't
examine Http in too much depth yet.

> I'd like to provide support for C++11 system error code too, but Boost's
> integration isn't so transparent yet.

As I have mentioned to you before, you can ask ASIO to tell you which
error code system it uses, moreover ASIO itself can be configured
with more than one error code implementation, so you need to pick up
whatever it's been configured with. I'd also support standalone ASIO
if I were you, and then you'll be ready for the Networking TS. You
might consider replicating what AFIO does to use ASIO via APIBind,
then you can support Boost.ASIO and the Networking TS with no extra
work.

> Actually, most of Boost.Http interface could be implemented in C++03 and
> the only trouble would be a migration path from C++03 enums to C++11
> strongly typed enums.

Boost has an excellent C++ 11 enum emulation based on macros. And
yes, I agree Http doesn't use a ton of 11 yet. ASIO in many ways
forces you to use idioms which are very fast on 03, so the need for
11 isn't as acute.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting