Subject: Re: [boost] Some statistics about the C++ 11/14 mandatory Boost libraries
From: Vinícius dos Santos Oliveira (vini.ipsmaker_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-05-14 17:58:59

> > > Most avoid Boost.Build
> > Again. Are they really avoiding it or this is just a result of
> > starting outside of Boost and not being part of Boost yet. Getting
> > into Boost will result in using Boost.Build to be part of the whole
> > regression infrastructure. I’m pretty sure no library author would
> > object to that.
>
> Actually they do. They want to use cmake. Not Boost.Build. Again, the
> authors may chime in here to confirm.

Boost.Build is a pain.

Boost QuickBook and DocBook are nice, but the tools are also a pain.

I shouldn't have to download and maintain a Boost tree to make these tools
work. It's like all or nothing. I'd like to see tools that are more
modular, standalone and with no assumption that I'm building a Boost
project.

Of course, I'll migrate from CMake to Boost Build, as I want to see my
ASIO-based HTTP library within Boost.

> > Everybody tries to use as little Boost as possible
> > Are they really avoiding other Boost libraries because of some problem
> > or don’t they just require other libraries? From the descriptions of
> > the libraries that actually seems quit plausible.
>
> Boost 1.x is obsolete.
>
> It is obsolete because enough of Boost 1.x is now in the STL that you
> no longer need to use Boost 1.x.
>
> [...]
>
> Again, authors may wish to chime in or not themselves about their
> views on the matter.

In the case of Boost.Http, there are some Boost libraries that are not used
because they have C++11 counterparts, like:

   - shared_ptr
   - cstdint
   - lambdas/bind/...
   - array
   - type traits
   - regex
   - ...

Still, many Boost libs are used, like date_time, string algo, string_ref
and a few others.

I'd like to provide support for C++11 system error code too, but Boost's
integration isn't so transparent yet.

Actually, most of Boost.Http interface could be implemented in C++03 and
the only trouble would be a migration path from C++03 enums to C++11
strongly typed enums.

--
Vinícius dos Santos Oliveira
https://about.me/vinipsmaker