Subject: Re: [boost] Deprecation Policy
From: Peter Dimov (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-05-16 18:52:25

Stefan Seefeld wrote:
> I imagine it's entirety possible to produce a "boost release" (or "distro"
> to use a term Niall suggested) consisting of all the latest releases of
> individual boost libraries.
>
> You might argue that it's hard to guarantee compatibility among them. But
> that has been a problem Boost has been plagued with forever: no two boost
> releases have ever given any guaranty of compatibility. So here again, a
> little change in policy would very much benefit boost users.

I'm not sure I understand.

One of the points of doing a Boost release is that the versions of the
libraries included in it are compatible with each other. If library X is
updated in a way that breaks libraries Y, Z and W, this breakage is
(generally) either fixed before the release or X is rolled back.

How would losing this very much benefit users is something that's not
immediately obvious to me.