Subject: Re: [boost] Questions about upcoming review of Boost.AFIO
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-05-20 13:55:32

On 5/20/15 9:56 AM, Niall Douglas wrote:
> Question: Given the API will so radically change, is now the time for
> a community review? Do note that APIBind allows me to support the
> existing API and the new API concurrently without issue.
>

> 2. AFIO requires APIBind which is a separate library. APIBind is not
> yet in the review queue and it is pending me writing up its
> documentation and a more useful unit test suite. Is this a problem?
> Do note that you the user of AFIO will never need to know about
> APIBind, it is entirely an internal implementation detail.
>

> Comments appreciated.
>
> Niall

Given the above, I would very strongly recommend that you postpone the
review until you feel that the submission reflects what you want the
library to look like. How would you feel if it was rejected - wouldn't
you just kick yourself for not delaying for the submission of the
presumably best version you can submit. As far as I know in the whole
history of Boost there is only one time that a library was reject only
to be accepted after a subsequent submission. Save yourself the agony
of doing this more than once.

BTW if AFIO requires APIBInd then that should be reviewed first or the
two have to be reviewed together. This latter would be agony as the
whole discussion of two nominally separate things would become intertwined.

Just my 2 cents.

Robert Ramey