Subject: Re: [boost] Interest in non-intrusive signal/slot lib?
From: Emil Dotchevski (emildotchevski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-05-20 13:40:01

On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 11:35 PM, Gavin Lambert <gavinl_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> TBH though in the presented examples I would doubt that signal/event
> handling is the only concern (in a real application), so you might end up
> creating those Window objects anyway, in which case the appeal lessens. So
> I can't personally think of any cases where I would use this instead of
> Signals2 or libsigc++ or similar.

An example when the non-intrusiveness is important is when you load up an
entire hierarchy of UI objects from a file and you want to add custom
signals to it. Other solutions to this problem are less elegant.

Another useful non-intrusive feature is the meta signals system. It lets
you manage connections to 3rd party objects automatically. For example it
can be used to add support for C++ functional objects to any C-style
callback API.

Emil