Subject: Re: [boost] Deprecation Policy
From: Peter Dimov (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-05-21 07:04:38

Rene Rivera wrote:
> And as I've mentioned in another thread (with Stefan) I build a personal
> project that uses Boost and uses Cinder (which uses a bunch of Boost) in a
> totally modular manner. I.e. I get each Boost lib individually, and only
> the ones I need to build. And with some BB magic I can specify
> inter-library dependencies and have it all build correctly in any
> variation I want (without the variant tagging though).

This works for me (or rather, worked for me last time I tried) right now out
of the box, without any additional BB magic. That is, if I put into a
directory Jamroot, boost-build.jam, boostcpp.jam, tools/build, libs/this and
libs/that, it all works. This is what bpm does (that is, it downloads those
things into a directory).

But it's not what Stefan wants. He wants to be able to download just
libs/python on a, say, Ubuntu system with Boost 1.55 installed, then build
it against the installed Boost components with the installed Boost.Build.

Maybe this works too, I haven't checked.