Subject: Re: [boost] Deprecation Policy
From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-05-21 09:57:57

On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 6:04 AM, Peter Dimov <lists_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Rene Rivera wrote:
>
>> And as I've mentioned in another thread (with Stefan) I build a personal
>> project that uses Boost and uses Cinder (which uses a bunch of Boost) in a
>> totally modular manner. I.e. I get each Boost lib individually, and only
>> the ones I need to build. And with some BB magic I can specify
>> inter-library dependencies and have it all build correctly in any variation
>> I want (without the variant tagging though).
>>

> This works for me (or rather, worked for me last time I tried) right now
> out of the box, without any additional BB magic. That is, if I put into a
> directory Jamroot, boost-build.jam, boostcpp.jam, tools/build, libs/this
> and libs/that, it all works. This is what bpm does (that is, it downloads
> those things into a directory).

And to be clear :-) What I'm saying is that I can do that without having to
add the Jamroot, boost-build.jam, boostcpp.jam, etc. from Boost. And
without having to follow the Boost dir structure at all. Obviously I add my
own Jamroot and boost-build.jam for my own project.

But it's not what Stefan wants. He wants to be able to download just
> libs/python on a, say, Ubuntu system with Boost 1.55 installed, then build
> it against the installed Boost components with the installed Boost.Build.

> Maybe this works too, I haven't checked.

It doesn't yet (although I think he has it somewhat kludged to work). But
it's not far from working.

--
-- Rene Rivera
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything