Subject: Re: [boost] [predef] Using predef-check on 'develop' problem
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-05-25 23:29:12

On 5/25/2015 10:51 PM, Aparna Kumta wrote:
> On 05/25/15 19:22, Edward Diener wrote:

>>> The error I see in this case is
>>>
>>> ../libs/vmd/test/test_variadic_macro.cxx(25): No variadic macro support:
>>> __SUNPRO_CC defined. in function '(unknown)'
>>>
>>> Oracle Solaris Studio does support variadic macros.
>>> In libs/preprocessor/include/boost/preprocessor/config/config.hpp
>>> line# 73-77, seems incorrect for SUNPRO_CC and
>>> BOOST_PP_VARIADICS should be set to 1.
>>>
>>> 73 # define BOOST_PP_VARIADICS_MSVC 0
>>> 74 # if !defined BOOST_PP_VARIADICS
>>> 75 # /* variadic support explicitly disabled for all untested
>>> compilers */
>>> 76 # if defined __GCCXML__ || defined __CUDACC__ || defined
>>> __PATHSCALE__ || defined __DMC__ || de
>>> fined __CODEGEARC__ || defined __BORLANDC__ || defined __MWERKS__ ||
>>> defined __SUNPRO_CC || defined __HP_a
>>> CC && !defined __EDG__ || defined __MRC__ || defined __SC__ || defined
>>> __IBMCPP__ || defined __PGI
>>> 77 # define BOOST_PP_VARIADICS 0
>>>
>>> Should I submit a PR for this change?
>>
>> No need. I am aware of it. I need to determine the value of
>> __SUNPRO_CC or above which can support variadic macros, and then I
>> will make the change and update it in the preprocessor library. I am
>> pretty sure it is version 12.3 and above, and I know the __SUNPRO_CC
>> value for that version (0x5120).
> Variadic macros have been supported for a while.
> The only compilers that don't support variadic macros are End Of Service
> Life, so we don't need to check for the value.

Nonetheless I want to be conservative about this, as it might change the
functionality of users of past versions of Oracle C++ who have used
Boost PP in their macro programming. Remember that Boost PP can still
function without variadic macro support and it has been around for quite
awhile. Whereas VMD is a new library which hasn't been used in the past
since the next Boost release will be the first, and it requires variadic
macro support. Furthermore we haven't been regression testing Oracle C++
in the past, whether with Boost PP or anything else, so I am loath to
make a radical change with Boost PP and older versions of Oracle C++ (
Sun C++ in the past ).

What I am going to do is change the code above so that variadic support
is automatically turned off with Oracle C++ only for versions below
12.3. If anyone running a version of Oracle C++ below 12.3 wants to use
VMD he can still force variadic macro support by defining
BOOST_PP_VARIADICS=1. I have chosem 12.3 since it appears to be the
first release that supports C++11 through a 'std=' option and variadic
macro support is part of C++11 although many compilers previosuly
supported it from the C99 standard.

I also must pay attention to the Boost PP tests for your setup so that
my change does not cause any problems there.

I also see that there is no information about the version of Oracle C++
you are tesing in the regression tests. Can this be added somewhere so
it can be seen ? For most other compilers it gives the name and version
of the compiler.