Subject: Re: [boost] [next gen future-promise] What to call themonadicreturntype?
From: Gottlob Frege (gottlobfrege_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-05-25 23:50:36

Can't use a spinlock pool. Because you might hold the spin lock when
moving/copying T, and T could be anything, then, in theory at least, T's
constructor might also use a future/promise, etc, etc, such that a
collision could cause a deadlock.

And extremely rare deadlock. That a user would never be able to diagnose.

Alternatively, with a lock in each and pointers pointing to each other, you
avoid deadlock by first setting (via CAS) your own state to be "I'm moving"
then (if successful) setting your partner's flag to "see ya later", then
(if successful) moving.

No one moves without telling the other first. You can get a live lock, but
not a dead lock. The live Lock can be dealt with (particularly easily since
the relationship (promise vs future) is asymmetrical - just say future
always goes first, for example).

At least that's one way:

http://2013.cppnow.org/session/non-allocating-stdfuturepromise/

Sent from my portable Analytical Engine