Subject: Re: [boost] RFC: Separating Boost.Python from Boost
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-05-29 14:04:08

On 5/29/15 9:31 AM, Stefan Seefeld wrote:
> Hello,
>
> as I have mentioned here before, I would very much like to continue the
> modularization effort, by fully separating the Boost.Python project from
> the rest of Boost.

It's not clear to me what this means. Does this mean altering
Boost.Python so that it has no dependencies on other parts of boost?
That is that the headers in Boost.Python include no headers from <boost
...? Or do you mean something else?

How would you plan to do this? A fork of Boost.Python, or unilaterally
make changes in the current version of Boost.Python?

If that's what you mean, wouldn't mean copying a bunch of code from
other parts of boost into boost python? That would have lot's of
interesting implications.

> For avoidance of doubt: my intent is not to remove Boost.Python out of
> the Boost organization. Rather, I would like to separate the build and
> release processes.

Again, it's not clear what "separate the build and release processes"
means. Does this mean the ability to "release (distribute ?)
Boost.Python without waiting for a boost release?

If this is what you mean, the question really has nothing to do with
Boost.Python but rather any Boost library. It's an interesting discussion

Robert Ramey