Subject: Re: [boost] RFC: Separating Boost.Python from Boost
From: Bjorn Reese (breese_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-05-30 05:43:08

On 05/30/2015 05:11 AM, Robert Ramey wrote:

> So you could build boost python with having the upper level bjam files.
[...]
> Why would anyone want to use this? and for what?

I do not know why anyone want to do that for Boost.Python, but this
problem is of a general nature.

Every author of a new Boost library has to go through the "birth-pain"
of getting their library to build with Boost.Build while it is not part
of monolithic Boost yet.

Currently, the easiest way is to checkout the Boost codebase and then
copy your library in there. A more involved alternative is to cheat
Boost.Build into believing that your library is part of the Boost code
base by adding lots of symbolic links all around. Neither solution is
feasible if you want other projects to use your library.

Being able to build such proposed libraries without upper level bjam
files would help a lot. This could lower the pratical barriers of
entry for new Boost libraries.