Subject: Re: [boost] RFC: Separating Boost.Python from Boost
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-05-29 23:11:08

On 5/29/15 9:31 AM, Stefan Seefeld wrote:
> Hello,
>
> as I have mentioned here before, I would very much like to continue the
> modularization effort, by fully separating the Boost.Python project from
> the rest of Boost.

I think this explanation has totally confused things. I get from the
thread and by looking at your fork that you intend to make a fork of the
bjam files which will depend less on the jamfile in boost root. As far
as I can tell, that's all your going to do.

So you could build boost python with having the upper level bjam files.

That is all I see here.

I don't see anything that would inhibit the modified version from being
distributed with the rest of boost as it currently does.

I don't see much point to this as it stands as it would still require
all the other boost headers that this library depends upon - 5 levels.

Why would anyone want to use this? and for what?

Now if you wanted to make a system which would download and package any
subset of boost libraries that might be interesting. But I'm just not
seeing what one hopes to accomplish here.

As an aside - A lot of confusion is generated by the fact that boost
does multiple things here. It reviews/certifies libraries, it tests
librares and it distributes a complete set of libraries. There is no
reason that all these functions need to be done by the same entity - in
fact I don't think that's the most expedient way to do it. I want to
see us move in the direction of decoupling these three functions.

Robert Ramey