Subject: Re: [boost] RFC: Separating Boost.Python from Boost
From: Peter Dimov (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-05-30 06:37:19

Stefan Seefeld wrote:
> Ideally, Boost would be componentized to the point where it would be easy
> to enumerate Boost.Python's dependencies not on header files but on
> projects.

Boost is already componentized to such a point. Read the dependency report.
It lists the libraries on which Boost.Python depends.

> Unfortunately, so far there is absolutely no guarantee that any Boost
> release N+1 is backward compatible with release N. I believe that it is
> more than time for Boost to strive for backward compatibility, and to make
> it very clear whenever any API-level incompatibilities are introduced, so
> users can adjust.

The way we currently guarantee that Boost release N+1 is backward compatible
with Boost release N with respect to Boost.Python is by running the tests of
Boost.Python against other libraries in release N+1 before release.

If you pull Boost.Python out of the Boost release procedure, nobody is going
to run the tests of Boost.Python against N+1 before N+1 is released, and
regressions will not be caught.

This is not the first time I'm saying this, I believe. There must be some
sort of a misunderstanding.