Subject: Re: [boost] RFC: Separating Boost.Python from Boost
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-05-30 08:58:05

On 29 May 2015 at 20:11, Robert Ramey wrote:

> > as I have mentioned here before, I would very much like to continue the
> > modularization effort, by fully separating the Boost.Python project from
> > the rest of Boost.
>
> Why would anyone want to use this? and for what?

Specifically for Boost.Python, a very, very long time ago it had been
thought it more appropriate that a C++ bindings generator for Python
really ought to be part of the Python distribution, not outside it.
It would surely get a lot more love and attention being part of
official Python and part of their release and unit testing. However
back in 2001-2002 Boost.Python needed enough of Boost it was too much
of a pain for the Python maintainers.

Now we have the C++ 11 STL, I see no reason why Boost.Python needs
any of Boost at all anymore as everything it uses in Boost can be
substituted with the C++ 11 STL. That should allow Python to adopt
Boost.Python into itself, and they take over maintenance and keep
both Python and Boost.Python synchronised.

If Stefan were so motivated, I even think money could be found from
the Boost.Python community to pay for that conversion given the
enormous long term benefits it would have to anyone wanting to use
C++ with Python and not deal with SWIG.

And I think Boost in that situation should willingly and gladly give
up Boost.Python if Python core were to adopt the code base instead.
Boost.Python should always have been in the core Python distribution.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting
http://www.nedproductions.biz/