Subject: Re: [boost] Thoughts on Trac wiki page commenting facility
From: Klaim - Joël Lamotte (mjklaim_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-05-31 07:23:18

On Sun, May 31, 2015 at 3:06 AM, Rene Rivera <grafikrobot_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> 4. Move the wiki to something like Wordpress or Drupal (etc) which has
> built-in support for commenting. And along the way integrate the wiki and
> the website into one site for easier management, cross-referencing, and
> community involvement.

In the same kind of alternatives but maybe better, a lot of blogs and
websites are starting to use
Discourse [1] (a mordern approach to "forums", by stackoverflow team) as a
commenting system,
wherever is the comment (blog page, static page, etc).

Pros: Discourse have a _very_ modern interface based on usability instead
of fancy-ness.
   It makes it intuitive to use. It is also easy to install on a server if
you can use docker.
   Others have used it as comment system and it helps getting side
discussions outside
   comments (because discussions can be split, with discussion origin
tracking).
   It's open source[3]. There is a plugin in wordpress and other similar
cms to integrate it.[2]
   It's a less problematic comment system than disqs (which I used for some
years but found
   the exprience very negative). Discourse plays well with mobile.

Cons: It uses ruby on the server. As a full discussion board, it might
fragment the discussions
   between the mailing lists and the comments system.
   There might be other issues that I'm not aware of, I used it for a year
before it went 1.0
   and was surprisingly happy with it but I never tried to use it for
comments.
   The installation was not trivial at the time, comparable to installing a
TRAC instance.
   I didn't try the docker version yet.
   Also, it's a young technology even if well design, it still means it
could have issues unknown yet.

Some websites using it as comment system:
 - discourse's team lead's blog: http://blog.codinghorror.com/
 - http://www.sitepoint.com/farewell-disqus-hello-discourse/
There are others but that should be enough to see it.

How to embedd it in static sites:
http://eviltrout.com/2014/01/22/embedding-discourse.html

[1] http://www.discourse.org/
[2] https://github.com/discourse/wp-discourse and maybe others