Subject: Re: [boost] [metaparse] Practical usefulness
From: Abel Sinkovics (abel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-06-03 01:11:36

Hi Peter,

On 2015-06-03 00:40, Peter Dimov wrote:
> Another interesting example would be your writing a grammar for a
> language in EBNF (instead of Spirit syntax) and Metaparse generating
> the (runtime) parser from that. (Interestingly, Metaparse can
> currently take a grammar in EBNF and generate the compile-time parser
> from it. :-))

The grammar element in Metaparse (which can be used to generate a
compile-time parser from a grammar) was originally developed as a
demonstration of the expressiveness of the library (you can build the
library using itself). I later decided to make it part of the interface
as a tool to quickly get something to work, however, it slows the
compilation process significantly down (this is mentioned in the
reference). No measurements about it. The compilation time difference
was seconds <-> minutes, so I found it pointless to actually measure it.

Regards,
   Ábel