Subject: Re: [boost] What would make tool authors happier..
From: John Maddock (jz.maddock_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-06-03 12:29:14

> The set of libraries that have extraneous files/dirs are roughly:
> algorithm, align, asio, assert, bind, chrono, compatibility, compute,
> concept_check, config, container, context, conversion, convert, core, crc,
> date_time, disjoint_sets, dynamic_bitset, endian, filesystem, format,
> functional, fusion, geometry, gil, heap, interprocess, intrusive,
> lexical_cast, locale, log, math, move, mpl, multi_index, multiprecision,
> numeric, phoenix, polygon, predef (yes my own lib, I know), property_tree,
> proto, python, random, random, regex, serialization, smart_ptr, sort,
> spirit, statechart, static_assert, test, thread, tokenizer, type_index,
> type_traits, typeof, units, unordered, utility, uuid, variant, wave, and
> xpressive.

Since there are several of mine listed there, these typically have:

tools:
    Stuff to help me maintain the library, look away now ;)
example(s):
    Examples for end users, these are typically built into the
documentation, so I guess they could go under doc/ at a pinch, but I
feel they are more "discoverable" if they're in a top level directory.
The Jamfile in test/ references the one in example/ so these get built
as part of the tests, even though they're not "tests" as such.
config:
    Common directory for build time configuration. Could go under
build/config I guess.
performance:
    Performance tests. Not built/run as part of the test suite as they
take *much* too long.

There are a few other stray directories in Math that should probably be
tidied up when I get the time, but they should be harmless I would have
thought.

John.