Subject: Re: [boost] [BestPracticeHandbook] Try the library online
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-06-10 07:10:52

On 9 Jun 2015 at 14:16, Krzysztof Jusiak wrote:

> I've recently added a new badge (try boost.di | online) to proposed
> boost.di library. It uses Wandbox (awesome) facilities to check the library
> using online compiler (Wandbox supports newest gcc/clang).
> IMHO this approach is really useful for reviews and new users, since they
> don't have to install anything, just click the link and its done. They can
> experiment and then if they like it, clone the library and explore it more.
>
> You can check the badge here:
> http://krzysztof-jusiak.github.io/di/cpp14/boost/libs/di/doc/html
>
> And, for inpatients, direct link to online compiler with the library:
> http://melpon.org/wandbox/permlink/O3ABWKU3VBV3WG8J

Seriously cool.

Can I quickly check with you how you did this so I can write it up?

1. Assemble your library into a giant single header include file. Add
that to wandbox.

2. Add small example program. Get it compiling and executing.

3. Hit the "Share This Code" button to get a permalink.

4. Go to badges.io to create a custom badge.

5. Add the badge to the link to your documentation.

My *only* criticism is that I think the badge too samey to the CI
status badges and that users simply will not see it. I think we need
a much bigger maybe custom designed badge, and it should be separate
from the status badges.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting