Subject: Re: [boost] [Hana] Formal review
From: Louis Dionne (ldionne.2_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-06-18 14:47:22

Niall Douglas <s_sourceforge <at> nedprod.com> writes:

> On 17 Jun 2015 at 21:59, David Sankel wrote:
>
> > That's a bit of a strawman, but yes I'd like to review core hanna (which is
> > mostly what is used in the examples) and then review major libraries built
> > on hanna (such as the Haskell typeclass stack that is currently included).
>
> That's a fair point. Are you proposing a Hana core and a Hana
> applications split?
>
> I see particular value in this if a Hana core library can become MSVC
> compatible much sooner than a Hana applications library. For me, the
> lack of MSVC support - even with winclang getting ever closer to
> replacing MSVC - is a showstopper to me using Hana at all in my own
> code. And from last month onwards I stopped supporting VS2013 in my
> new code, so I'm hardly being backwards.

I'm sorry, but I fear MSVC support will not be possible until they have
better standard compliance. Metaprogramming libraries have always been hard
on compilers. Hana, being in addition a _modern_ metaprogramming library, is
even hard on the most cutting edge compilers. There's just no way Hana (even
if split into a core sub library) could work on MSVC. The part that's hard
with the compiler is not the concepts, it's the implementation itself.

> [...]

Regards,
Louis