Subject: Re: [boost] [afio] AFIO review postponed till Monday
From: Asbjørn (lordcrc_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-07-22 04:27:16

On 22.07.2015 03:27, Niall Douglas wrote:
> On 21 Jul 2015 at 20:07, Glen Fernandes wrote:
>> I was under the impression that you
>> wanted AFIO to be used in production code; i.e. this is intended to be
>> a more practical library than an experimental one. I'm surprised the
>> use of undocumented APIs has not backfired yet in your testing.
>
> The NT kernel API is exceptionally stable as any changes to it cost
> Microsoft and anyone who writes device drivers dearly.

As a Windows dev and Boost user, I think the use of the NT kernel API is fine as
long as it is very, very clearly stated along with the implications that has,
especially for the "future-proofness" of resulting applications.

For example, will a Windows AFIO binary work under Wine or similar?

And if you haven't done so already, you probably should also clearly state in
the docs why the Win32 API was insufficient.

Cheers
- Asbjørn