Subject: Re: [boost] [afio] AFIO review postponed till Monday
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-07-22 13:01:56

On 22 Jul 2015 at 10:27, Asbjørn wrote:

> As a Windows dev and Boost user, I think the use of the NT kernel API is fine as
> long as it is very, very clearly stated along with the implications that has,
> especially for the "future-proofness" of resulting applications.
>
> For example, will a Windows AFIO binary work under Wine or similar?

I would be very surprised if it didn't. I made extensive use of
examining Wine and ReactOS sources (at that layer they are the same
code) to figure out user mode NT kernel API semantics because most of
the code examples on the web use kernel IRP programming, and I needed
non-IRP examples to study. Wine and ReactOS have a lovely unit test
suite which does exactly what I needed - lots of non-IRP example code
patterns to study.

> And if you haven't done so already, you probably should also clearly state in
> the docs why the Win32 API was insufficient.

I think it's on the first page :)

I repeated myself in an email to Glen just there for completeness.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting
http://www.nedproductions.biz/