Subject: Re: [boost] [afio] AFIO review postponed till Monday
From: Asbjørn (lordcrc_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-07-22 16:01:16

On 22.07.2015 19:01, Niall Douglas wrote:
> On 22 Jul 2015 at 10:27, Asbjørn wrote:
>
>> As a Windows dev and Boost user, I think the use of the NT kernel API is fine as
>> long as it is very, very clearly stated along with the implications that has,
>> especially for the "future-proofness" of resulting applications.
>>
>> For example, will a Windows AFIO binary work under Wine or similar?
>
> I would be very surprised if it didn't. I made extensive use of
> examining Wine and ReactOS sources (at that layer they are the same
> code) to figure out user mode NT kernel API semantics because most of
> the code examples on the web use kernel IRP programming, and I needed
> non-IRP examples to study. Wine and ReactOS have a lovely unit test
> suite which does exactly what I needed - lots of non-IRP example code
> patterns to study.

Sounds great, it was my (poor) understanding that Wine was a layer above that
(ie just Win32).

Still, with temporary solutions/applications having a habbit of becoming
permanent solutions[1], it still seems to me that the reliance on NT kernel API
rather than just Win32 may stop it to work earlier than a pure Win32 application.

Again, I don't view this as a show-stopper at all, just something a new library
user needs to be keenly aware of before deciding to use AFIO.

[1]: http://it.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=7719515&cid=50156045

>> And if you haven't done so already, you probably should also clearly state in
>> the docs why the Win32 API was insufficient.
>
> I think it's on the first page :)

That'll do just fine :P

Cheers
- Asbjørn