Subject: Re: [boost] boost.org https certificate expired 4 month ago
From: Vladimir Prus (vladimir.prus_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-08-14 02:51:00

On 12-Aug-15 12:38 AM, Niall Douglas wrote:
> On 11 Aug 2015 at 1:36, Klaim - Joël Lamotte wrote:
>
>>> I noticed today that the https of boost.org is expired, and should have a
>>> new certificate:
>>> https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=boost.org
>>>

>> My understanding is that the process to renew the certificate was started
>> few months ago but
>> got nowhere. Not totally sure why though.
>> The last status report from the steering committee is available there:
>> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.steering/126
>
> We have a new SSL cert, and have had for some months.
>
> The problem is installing it. We no longer have root access to the
> server in question and I understand the person who had root access
> isn't responding to email.

It's unfortunate that the Steering Committee had not taken a decisive
action here - either reaching other people at OSL - or deciding
that we've lost webserver access completely, and need to start over.

> We would move to new servers, but need root access to copy off all
> the existing data. So we keep pinging emails, and hope one day the
> person in question replies.

How about starting a new server, configuring nginx to proxy to the
current server by IP address, and changing DNS to point to the new server?
SSL will be handled by the new server.

> This is why we need a dedicated employed person to do this stuff,to
> keep migration plans and plan upkeep so getting orphaned from access
> never occurs in the first place, and even if it did there is a live
> offsite backup configured using docker/drbd etc we can replicate
> from. The steering committee can only authorise that spending if
> there is consensus from boost-dev that someone should be employed to
> do this stuff, until that happens this situation will keep recurring
> into the future with no end in sight.

Lots of open-source project manage to have a website without employing
anybody. I think the problem is really access, not employment.

- Volodya