Subject: Re: [boost] Unicode characters in filenames
From: Jonathan Wakely (jwakely.boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-08-21 14:03:25

On 18 August 2015 at 23:56, Edward Diener wrote:
> On 8/17/2015 3:21 PM, Mathias Gaunard wrote:
>>
>> On 17/08/15 11:40, Paul A. Bristow wrote:
>>
>>> +1
>>>
>>> KISS - no Unicode in filenames.
>>>
>>> (I know that this is very English-speaking-centric, but there isn't
>>> really a strong need?)
>>

>> I was assuming that given the file name, the file is auto-generated, in
>> which case it is the tool that needs fixing to make sure names are
>> always ASCII.
>

> What happened is that I grabbed the file, Appendix A to the Boost MPL book
> as an html page, which used to be hosted at Boostpro, from the wayback
> machine Internet archive. Then I massaged it a bit to remove all the wayback
> machine cruft, but I think it had the Unicode in it once I had grabbed it.
>
> After that I copied the title from that page to links in two other
> preprocessor pages, thus propagating the Unicode. The GUI HTML editor I was
> using never flagged the Unicode as anything unusual so I really didn't see
> it.
>
> I have applied Tom Kent's the PR to 'develop' and will no doubt merge it to
> 'master' fairly shortly.

The file still has lots of ASCII spaces in the name:

doc/Appendix A - An Introduction to Preprocessor Metaprogramming.html

This breaks Fedora packaging because we do:

find $docdir ... | xargs install -p -m 644 -t $docpath

and xargs splits on spaces.

I know I can fix it with -print0 and -0, but for the sake of KISS
could it be just appendix.html, or intro.html or something?