Subject: Re: [boost] Interest in adding support for the Bloomberg Standard Library
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-08-27 17:12:15

On 8/27/15 1:40 PM, Mathias Gaunard wrote:
> Bloomberg has its own C++ standard library, BSL, which sits on top of
> another standard library but replaces containers with their own versions.
> The BSL containers are somewhat similar to Boost.Container's: they
> provide stateful allocators, as well as backport some C++11 extensions
> to C++03.
>
> Before I make all the necessary changes and do a pull request,

pull request for which library? This sounds like you'd like to
incorporate BSL into Boost containers. Is that what you mean or
something else?

I would
> like to make sure the Boost community would be ok in including support
> for this in Boost.Config.

Wouldn't it be more appropriate to make a Bloomberg.Config which would
#include <boost/config.hpp> ?

> This library is fairly specific to one company and not used much
> elsewhere, despite being open-source
> (<https://github.com/bloomberg/bde>). We are also trying to phase out
> usage of this library with the 'std' namespace (it can be configured to
> use the 'bsl' namespace instead), but that's likely not going to happen
> anytime soon.

I'm not sure how this is relevant to Boost

> As part as providing support for this in Boost, we would also be
> providing testers, mostly on big iron unix (AIX-powerpc, SunOS-sparc).
>
> Any interest?

Well there would certainly be interest in getting more testers.

Also getting underway will be the "Boost Library Official Maintainer"
program. Sounds like this could be of on interest to Bloomberg. We'll
be presenting it at CPPCon. Since Bloomberg is a sponsor of CPPCon I'm
assuming you or someone like you will be there to participate.

So there might be something good in all this?

Robert Ramey