Subject: Re: [boost] [Boost-users] [afio] Formal review of Boost.AFIO
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-08-27 21:12:42

On 27 Aug 2015 at 8:23, Darren Cook wrote:

> > ... And because I do not have unlimited time on my hand, I simply
> > cannot invest the time to find fundamental flaws.
>
> This is an incredible important point. If the documentation does not
> allow us to *easily* understand the design and use cases it should be
> rejected. Because it may be bad, we just cannot tell.

Even with excellent documentation, there may end up being so much of
it that nobody can be reasonably expected to climb that hill for a
Boost review.

You may notice from the docs I really like code examples which solve
real world rather than toy problems written optimally by an expert in
the field. That makes them necessarily non-trivial and makes the
learning curve steep, but in my opinion if you need to get up and
running with a library quickly those examples to study are
invaluable.

It's my biggest bone to pick with ASIO's docs actually: there are
only four or five of the example programs which approach real world
solutions and are therefore useful when getting up to speed with ASIO
quickly when you have a real world problem to solve. I still ended up
searching ASIO's implementation code and examples of real world usage
on the internet far more frequently than I should.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting
http://www.nedproductions.biz/