Subject: Re: [boost] [AFIO] Review (or lack of it)
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-08-29 10:07:51

On 29 Aug 2015 at 9:11, Roland Bock wrote:

> And, just to show you that your claim about unfounded claims is
> unfounded (come on, seriously!), here is what the simplest API of an
> STL-based named Blob store could look like IMO.
>
> #include <vector>
> #include <string>
>
> class data_store
> {
> std::string _store_path;
>
> public:
> data_store(std::string store_path);
>
> auto read(std::string name) const
> -> std::vector<uint8_t>;
>
> auto write(std::string name, const std::vector<uint8_t>& blob)
> -> void;
> };
>

> Please note that this one actually /is/ STL based.

The above is a poor interface design. Imagine 1Gb sized blobs. The
interface in the tutorial scales very well to 1Gb sized blobs.

Anyway, it's been made very clear by many reviewers that nobody likes
the workshop tutorial, so I should imagine that the interface will be
completely refactored into something less controversial.

> Please remember to read your own conditions before making unfounded
> claims about how this is much, much worse in oh so many ways than the
> one you claim to be the simplest one.
>
> Still trying to help, although you might believe or see it that way.

You might find me far more receptive to your help if you had (a) not
publicly questioned my sanity (b) used my mention of the hours I have
invested into the development of AFIO as a basis for rejecting it in
your review (c) accused me of trying to "shape" the review or
whatever you called it, and then also used that as a basis for
rejecting my library.

Your review did contain useful points, for which I am grateful and I
said so.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting