Subject: Re: [boost] Painting a bikeshed ...
From: Bjorn Reese (breese_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-10-02 12:24:20

On 10/02/2015 05:00 PM, Gottlob Frege wrote:

> I really like stratify.

I find "stratify" to be too grandiose a term.

In hierarchy theory there is an important distinction between
hierachical levels (or layers) and strata. Elements at one level are
simply aggregations of elements from the underlying level. Elements at
one stratum are completely different from elements of the underlying
stratum (e.g. we humans operate quite differently in the biosphere
stratum than planets in the solar system stratum.)

For that reason I would prefer "layered_sort" (or "sort_layer") over
"stratified_sort" (or "sort_stratum".)