Subject: Re: [boost] Compiler warnings after boost update
From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-10-03 05:45:44

I doubt if 'warnings as errors' is a realistic target.

> > I am wondering why this came up after the update. Is it a configuration problem during the build of
> the boost libraries, or is it an issue in the boost libraries? I find it hard to believe that the code
> quality changed so much between the versions.

Compilers change too...

<snip>

> > What is the policy of the boost project concerning compiler warnings in installation headers? I
> would assume that the libraries should compile without warnings on supported compilers, either
> because there are no issues, or because warnings are disabled in the boost headers.
>
> If only.
>
> I believe it's up to individual library authors to decide what their policy is regarding warnings.

There are some suggestions and recommendations at

https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/Guidelines/WarningsGuidelines

but ultimately it's up to authors to try to get things as warning free as possible.

Sadly, some are better than others :-(

Paul

PS You might find that you can use the suggested methods above to allow you to produce your own warning-free version? You could then provide a pull-request to 'fix' warnings for others.

---
Paul A. Bristow
Prizet Farmhouse
Kendal UK LA8 8AB