Subject: Re: [boost] [test] Boost.test failures in develop
From: Gennadiy Rozental (rogeeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-10-04 05:59:16

Andrey Semashev <andrey.semashev <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On 04.10.2015 09:53, Gennadiy Rozental wrote:
> > Adam Wulkiewicz <adam.wulkiewicz <at> gmail.com> writes:
> >
> >> In general I agree with you but the reality is that currently all (or
> >> nearly all?) Boost libraries support c++03 and there are more c++03
test
> >> runners than c++11 ones.
> >
> > I do not believe so. By my count about 10 out of 50 are c++03.
>
> There are 118 directories in libs, each of them roughly correspond to a
> library. Out of them, from the top of my head, only Boost.Context2 and
> Boost.VMD strictly do not support C++03. There are 36 Jamfiles that
> indicate dependency on Boost.Test.

I was counting runners, not libraries. Majority of these are c++11 enabled

> >> Are you saying that the support for c++03 in Test was dropped or will
be
> >> in the near future?
> >
> > At some near point in a future. I do not have resources to maintain
two
> > branches of the library. Older releases are there forever. Anyone
interested
> > in c++03 compatible version can download it without ny problems.
>
> This makes Boost.Test unsuitable for testing Boost libraries that
> support C++03 (currently - nearly all). Are you suggesting to start
> porting tests from Boost.Test to another testing framework?

No need. We'll figure something out. I hope we just decide to forget about
c++03 in near future (by 'we' I mean boost community). Why would you fight
for maintaining the compatibility? Many people do not have access to these
compilers anymore. I, for example, pretty much will have to use develop
branch to test compilation and tests.

Gennadiy