Subject: Re: [boost] Boost.test failures in develop
From: Rob Stewart (rob.stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-10-04 05:54:10

On October 4, 2015 3:58:33 AM EDT, Gennadiy Rozental <rogeeff_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Barend Gehrels <barend <at> xs4all.nl> writes:
>
> > You cannot just drop (if I'm correct it is dropped without even any
> > notice) c++03 from your Boost.Test library which is used by many
> > libraries which indeed still do support c++03.
>
> IMO anything is dropped automatically as soon as developers do not
> have
> access to the testing environment. IMO, practically, most boost
> developers
> already in a situation where c++03 testing is not easily available or
> require unnecessary large effort to maintain (if your code written
> using
> C++11 feature, implementing these in C++03 compatible manner can be
> rather time consuming).
>
> At the moment I am looking for possibility to completely disable parts
> of
> the framework in C++03 mode. Sooner or later it will not be possible
> anymore (for example, to make UTF thread safe I might need c++11
> features across the board).

Boost.Test should not drop C++03 support until all Boost libraries using it drop C++03 support, period. There is no hardship on Boost.Test maintainers to continue that support, though it may limit advancements. Doing otherwise forces the adoption of another test framework.

If there are insufficient testing resources to ensure C++03 coverage, then Boost may decide to drop C++03 support or may reallocate testing resources. Either way, that isn't the Boost.Test maintainers' call, if Boost.Test is to remain viable.

___
Rob