Subject: Re: [boost] boost.test regression or behavior change (was Re: Boost.lockfree)
From: John Maddock (jz.maddock_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-10-04 14:35:30

On 04/10/2015 18:46, Robert Ramey wrote:
> On 10/4/15 4:38 AM, John Maddock wrote:
>> As many others have said, Boost.Test is "special" in that the majority
>> of Boost's tests depend on it. Even breakages in develop are extremely
>> painful in that they effectively halt progress for any Boost library
>> which uses Test for testing.
>
> LOL - I've said this before and I'll say for the umpteenth time.
>
> This is very easy to address.
>
> a) set your local boost super project to "master" branch. Make sure
> all the subprojects are set to master.
>
> b) select the library you're working on and set the branch to
> "develop" or some feature branch
>
> c) make and test your changes. You're now isolated from any
> transitory issues, experments or whatever from other boost libraries
> on the develop branch. When you done - merge to develop and push to
> the repo.
>
> This works very, very, very well. It's the way Git was designed to
> work - I presume to address exactly this problem.
>
> Try it, you'll like it.
>
> of course this doesn't address misleading results in the develop test
> matrix which doesn't use this system - but that's not my problem.

I can't speak for you, but I nearly always find issues in the online
testing matrix that are simply not exposed by local testing (and for the
record I test locally with MSVC (various versions), GCC (various
versions), Intel, clang, and Oracle). Perhaps if I had local access to
hardware that wasn't Intel based that might change.... but then I'd be
running my own testing matrix!

John.