Subject: Re: [boost] boost.test regression or behavior change (was Re: Boost.lockfree)
From: Rob Stewart (rob.stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-10-06 13:40:36

On October 5, 2015 3:53:16 PM EDT, Gennadiy Rozental <rogeeff_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Bjorn Reese <breese <at> mail1.stofanet.dk> writes:
>
> > Today there is a large user-base that still
> > uses C++03, and that are unlikely to upgrade in the foreseeable
> future.
>
> 1. Without data backing this fact, this statement as good as "Most of
> our
> users already moved to c++11". If we measure by the compilers used by
> our
> test runners, 80% of them are running c++11 enabled compilers.

Here's more anecdotal evidence: we deploy software on multiple Linux and Windows versions from the same code base. In some cases, we reference different versions of Boost on the various platforms, but in others we use the same or a restricted set of recent versions to get desired fixes our features. That said, only some of those platforms offer is support for C++11, so we can't use it yet in that code.

> 2. Those who are not ready to upgrade to new version of the compiler,
> are
> very likely not going to upgrade to new version of boost, so this
> discussion is irrelevant for them.

That is contrary to my experience.

> 3. In general, what is the formal criteria for changing the decision?
> At
> which point we'll be ready to say: no - we do not test against c++03
> anymore? The presence of at least one c++03 test runner can't be a
> criteria.

Boost will not make that decision. Each library maintainer will. You have to decide whether and how Boost.Test will support the Boost libraries that support C++03.

___
Rob