Subject: Re: [boost] git reset and force push
From: Raffi Enficiaud (raffi.enficiaud_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-10-07 04:43:16

Le 07/10/15 09:58, Andrey Semashev a écrit :
>> You're saying this is not supported. Is that correct? Why not supporting
>> this? Is it by design?
>
> No, I'm not saying that the commit bot can't handle that (it probably
> can because someone already tried to rewrite history in the past and it
> kept working). I don't know for sure since I'm not maintaining the bot
> (or any testers, which may also be affected).
>
> I'm saying that rewriting history breaks pulling, which is what
> developers do when they update local git repos. It is a major nuisance
> when the history breaks as everyone has to repair their local branches.

Ok, but this occurs only if develop is checked out locally, which does
not happen when we just do

git submodule update --recursive

So for people that have checked out boost.test develop branch, they
would need to reset, for the others, it should work, isn't it?

git submodule update --force libs/test

should do the trick for those who have checked out boost.test[develop].
What do you think?

Sorry for insisting a bit on this path, but this is the shortest and
cleanest path now for fixing the C++11 vs. C++03 issues of boost.test.
In the future, I think I will maintain a "develop-release" branch for
being able to force push the topics on it (and have our own testing
infrastructure on that).

Raffi