Subject: Re: [boost] git reset and force push
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-10-07 03:58:46

On 07.10.2015 10:25, Raffi Enficiaud wrote:
> Le 07/10/15 09:20, Andrey Semashev a écrit :
>> On 07.10.2015 02:56, Raffi Enficiaud wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Is there any policy wrt. reseting a branch master/develop and force
>>> pushing? The side question is to know if the boost git tools (the bot
>>> for submodules) can cope with those operations.
>>
>> Please, don't do this. It breaks pulling changes from github.
>
> Ok, this is what I wanted to know. Basically I recreated a develop
> branch for boost.test release to develop (then to master) on a clean
> history. I wanted to know if the git bot of the modular boost (the one
> that commits under the name "Automated Commit
> <automated_at_[hidden]>") is able to take just the sha of the
> develop branch, or if its relying on some linear history.
>
> You're saying this is not supported. Is that correct? Why not supporting
> this? Is it by design?

No, I'm not saying that the commit bot can't handle that (it probably
can because someone already tried to rewrite history in the past and it
kept working). I don't know for sure since I'm not maintaining the bot
(or any testers, which may also be affected).

I'm saying that rewriting history breaks pulling, which is what
developers do when they update local git repos. It is a major nuisance
when the history breaks as everyone has to repair their local branches.