Subject: Re: [boost] git reset and force push
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-10-07 10:52:26

On 07.10.2015 16:27, Raffi Enficiaud wrote:
> Le 07/10/15 12:01, Andrey Semashev a écrit :
>>
>> git pull --recurse-submodules && git submodule foreach git merge
>> --ff-only
>
> Personally I never checkout a submodule unless I have to work on it,
> since I do not need them (!),

Well, I'm using quite a few libraries. Selecting ones I don't use and
excluding them from the checkout is just a waste of time for me - it's
easier to check out everything. In any case, I don't think Boost.Test
qualifies as a library that is rarely used.

> and a submodule develop/master might not
> be part of any version of the superproject itself (and hence not being
> able to test it).

The superproject is automatically updated to refer to the latest commits
in develop and master branches. I think it may skip a few pushed commits
if pushes are done in quick succession, but really, I don't care. For
all practical purposes you can assume that the superproject always
refers to the latest commit.

> Also with your merge you might create new commits that
> are not on the remote.

No, it can't. Not with the --ff-only argument. And that's the reason why
it fails when the history is rewritten.

> So far, 1 is against :) (but since you are an experienced git user, you
> would not mind neither to reset boost.test).

I would mind, that's why I objected in the first place.