Subject: Re: [boost] [nowide] Library Updates and Boost's brokenUTF-8 codecvt facet
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-10-09 08:32:04

On Thu, Oct 8, 2015 at 10:03 AM, Peter Dimov <lists_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Artyom Beilis wrote:
>
> We can create a "Separate" codecvt library with its own formal review and
>> it would be ready in best case in a year...
>>

> One option is to put it into utility;

+1

> another is to use a mini-review if the new codecvt library is an
> implementation of the standard <codecvt> interface.

 +1

It seems pretty useless to me if it isn't an implementation of the standard
<codecvt> interface.

> std::codecvt_utf8 is not quite the same as boost::utf8_codecvt_facet, but
> on the other hand, from your previous message it seems that your
> utf8_codecvt_facet is not std::codecvt_utf8 but std::codecvt_utf8_utf16, or
> perhaps it's the latter when wchar_t is 16 bit and the former when it's 32
> bit.

I'm assuming Artyom is proposing implementing
codecvt<wchar_t,char,mbstate_t> where externT is always UTF-8 encoding, and
internT encoding is UTF-32 for 32-bit wchar_t (e.g. many POSIX-like
systems), UTF-16 for 16-bit wchar_t (e.g. many Windows-like system), and
UTF-8 for 8-bit wchar_t (e.g. some embedded systems).

--Beman