Subject: Re: [boost] [Hana] Integration with the regression Matrix
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-10-09 20:07:07

On 10/9/15 3:05 PM, Louis Dionne wrote:
> Hi,
>
> With the goal of shipping Hana with the next release of Boost, I am
> currently
> trying to satisfy the requirement that Hana's testing results show up in the
> Boost regression matrix.

> I have been looking at the possibility of maintaining a separate
> Jamfile. However, the need to maintain two separate build systems is
> annoying, so I'd like to avoid it if possible.

As far as I know, including a Jamfile so that boost test can run has
always been a boost requirement.

> One way to achieve this would be to have Travis CI
> upload the results on each push to master.

> To do so, I would need to somehow create an XML file compatible with what
> the regression matrix expects. That brings up a few questions:
>
> (1) Is there a way to upload the result of CMake tests to the Boost
> regression
> matrix? I suspect something like that might have already been done as
> part
> of the (unfortunately defunct) CMake effort?
>
> (2) If not, would it be difficult to implement?

> Any input on how to best integrate Hana's testing results with the rest of
> Boost's regression testing will be greatly appreciated.

I would also like information about that above. But its a totally
separate project from Hana or any specific library. No way should you
spend time on this until you've got testing of Boost Hana working the
current system - this means making a Jamfile

> I also think that Travis-based testing could provide a better coverage for
> Hana than the voluntary testers given the need for cutting edge compilers,
> but I could be wrong.

LOL - it doesn't matter whether you're right or wrong. Boost gives a
lot of leeway to individual library authors. But there are some things
we have to agree upon. Right now that means a unitified testing/build
structure. This might change in the future, but it's one of the few
things we have to agree on. So put your head down, hold your nose and
head for daylight and get that Jamfile done.

Robert Ramey