Subject: Re: [boost] [regression] New runners for old compilers MSVC-7.1 and GCC 3.4
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-10-16 04:43:55

On 16.10.2015 11:18, Ion Gaztañaga wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The last compiler update two years ago in Boost 1.55 left MSVC-7.1 and
> GCC 3.3 as two of the oldest supported compilers:
>
> http://www.boost.org/users/history/version_1_55_0.html

That's about Boost.Config supporting macros from these compilers up. It
doesn't mean that all libraries support these compilers.

> I have no access to GCC 3.3 but managed to get a Mingw-based GCC 3.4.
>
> I will run regressions for for both mingw-GCC-3.4 and msvc-7.1 in master
> and develop branches in case anyone is interested. I plan to maintain
> support for them in Move, Intrusive, Container and Interprocess until we
> reach consensus on a new compiler update.

FWIW, I think these ancient compilers are long beyond saving. We have
not been testing them for years, and from the test matrix it is clear
that MSVC-7.1 has been broken terribly but noone complained. Noone seems
to care about it anymore.