Subject: Re: [boost] [regression] New runners for old compilers MSVC-7.1 and GCC 3.4
From: Ion Gaztañaga (igaztanaga_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-10-16 08:22:42

On 16/10/2015 10:43, Andrey Semashev wrote:
> On 16.10.2015 11:18, Ion Gaztañaga wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> The last compiler update two years ago in Boost 1.55 left MSVC-7.1 and
>> GCC 3.3 as two of the oldest supported compilers:
>>
>> http://www.boost.org/users/history/version_1_55_0.html
>
> That's about Boost.Config supporting macros from these compilers up. It
> doesn't mean that all libraries support these compilers.

Right. I never said that, it's up to each library which compilers are
supported. In any case, Config changes break nearly all libraries.

> FWIW, I think these ancient compilers are long beyond saving. We have
> not been testing them for years, and from the test matrix it is clear
> that MSVC-7.1 has been broken terribly but noone complained. Noone seems
> to care about it anymore.

It's an option. Qt only supports MSVC10/GCC 4.4 and above. However
latest POCO (1.6.1) still supports MSVC-7.1, WxWidgets supports MSVC8.

I don't think MSVC is the main problem now. We have much more work with
compilers like old DMD, Oracle, & Borland which as less conformant than
MSVC-7.1

In any case, if this triggers a discussion about new minimum
requirements for Boost.Config, I'd happy to test other newer platforms.

Ion