Subject: Re: [boost] [regression] New runners for old compilers MSVC-7.1 and GCC 3.4
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-10-16 08:56:40

On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 4:18 AM, Ion Gaztañaga <igaztanaga_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The last compiler update two years ago in Boost 1.55 left MSVC-7.1 and GCC
> 3.3 as two of the oldest supported compilers:
>
> http://www.boost.org/users/history/version_1_55_0.html
>
> I have no access to GCC 3.3 but managed to get a Mingw-based GCC 3.4.
>
> I will run regressions for for both mingw-GCC-3.4 and msvc-7.1 in master
> and develop branches in case anyone is interested. I plan to maintain
> support for them in Move, Intrusive, Container and Interprocess until we
> reach consensus on a new compiler update.

Really old compilers like GCC 3.4 and MSVC 7.1 are a terrible distraction
at a time when Boost and the rest of the C++ community is working so hard
to to upgrade to C++11/14.

I don't follow GCC and Clang releases closely enough to have an opinion on
them, but for MSVC with my own libraries I'm only supporting 10/11/12/14.

--Beman