Subject: Re: [boost] Demand for Boost libraries - was Math tools polynomial enhancements
From: Oswin Krause (Oswin.Krause_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-11-01 16:31:00

Hi,

> Hmm - I'm not seeing this. for the questions being asked - take the
> symbolic derivative - there is only one answer. How can one tool
> be better than another?
It is true that there is mathematically only one solution, however its
formulation is not unique and some formulations might be better suited
for numerical implementation. Take for example the sinc(x)=sin(x)/x
function as some term in the computed derivative. A tool that returns
the term "sin(x)/x" will cause trouble for x=0. if it returns "sinc(x)"
i can profit from the fact that someone implemented the function in a
numerically stable way.

Best,
Oswin