Subject: Re: [boost] Boost and auto_ptr (was Boost 1.60.0 beta 1...)
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-11-10 09:41:59

On 2015-11-10 16:46, Artyom Beilis wrote:
>> From: Andrey Semashev <andrey.semashev_at_[hidden]>
>>
>> Would you consider porting Boost.Locale to boost::movelib::unique_ptr
>> from Boost.Move?
>>
>> Note that you will have to switch at some point as MSVC developers are
>> planning to remove auto_ptr from the standard library at some point.
>
> To be honest I'd prefer something simple and straight forward over rvalue simulation library.
> I'd rather grap an implementation of auto_ptr directly to Boost.Locale.
>
> To keep simple and clear.

The choice is yours, of course. Just wanted to say that such practice
doesn't scale and really doesn't help integrating with your library. I'd
rather prefer we have a common equivalent of unique_ptr throughout Boost.

> I just what to note - Boost.Locale can be compiled in C++11 mode
> and used in C++03 mode - without breaking binary
> compatibility - few libraries do it but I'd rather want to keep it
> that way.

I think this is a worthwhile goal but it can be achieved while still
using unique_ptr when possible. For example, the ABI could contain raw
pointers or references and thin inline wrappers implementing the API
could wrap those pointers into what is a natural wrapper for the
application.