Subject: Re: [boost] Boost and auto_ptr (was Boost 1.60.0 beta 1...)
From: Vladimir Batov (Vladimir.Batov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-11-10 18:09:18

On 11/11/2015 03:03 AM, Zach Laine wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 8:47 AM, Artyom Beilis <artyomtnk_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> I don't see ANY reason whatsoever to break existing code unless the
>> use of some code opens some critical security bugs like gets() for
>> example.
>> I think this proposal is totally disconnected from real world.
> I agree with the author of that paper that the use of auto_ptr *is* broken
> in the general case, and so it should be deprecated and removed.

Deprecating and removing are not quite the same with very different
outcomes to the end-user. No matter how much one likes C++11 and how
much auto_prt is "broken" it appears outright irresponsible removing
such an important and well-entrenched component with huge impact onto
the end-user code base. The concern expressed by Artyom is
well-justified. There cannot be ifs and buts about it.