Subject: Re: [boost] Boost and auto_ptr (was Boost 1.60.0 beta 1...)
From: Bjorn Reese (breese_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-11-11 13:20:03

On 11/11/2015 06:05 PM, Artyom Beilis wrote:

> Ok when I started for example Boost.Locale few years ago No major widely
> available compiler had provided unique_ptr.
>
> I'm using Ubuntu LTS 14.4 (a distro one year old with long support) and gcc-4.8
> does not support regular expressions yet!

Both unique_ptr and regexp are available in Boost, so I am not sure
what the relevance of these observations are on a Boost mailing-list.

> So removing very useful stuff that isn't really that bad and that is
> used in library interfaces (so its removal breaks APIs) it what is
> what Linus Torvalds would say "brain damaged" decision.

Given that this is a Boost mailing-list, I am struggling to understand
were you are going with this discussion.

If you wish to object to the removal of auto_ptr, a better venue is
the std-proposals mailing-list.

If you wish to add a boost::auto_ptr to replace the disappearing
std::auto_ptr then that would be on-topic here.

Can you clarify your intentions please?