Subject: Re: [boost] Boost and auto_ptr (was Boost 1.60.0 beta 1...)
From: Artyom Beilis (artyomtnk_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-11-11 14:17:05

> Given that this is a Boost mailing-list, I am struggling to understand
> were you are going with this discussion.
>
> If you wish to object to the removal of auto_ptr, a better venue is
> the std-proposals mailing-list.

Excellent question...

Boost has impact. Some committee members read and write there, standard
library developers read and write there.

Boost is case of a widely used library that works from gcc-3.4 to gcc-6
from MSVC-2005 to 2015 and even more.

The perspective of library developers who design a library and API
for very-very-wide range of platforms and compilers think differently.

Library developers do not have a lechery to say we have new good stuff
that make things better lets use it in our *API*... because
ooooops - 90% of the real world can't use because they don't use bleeding
edge stuff.

I hope such a discussion would give a different perspective,
provide more awareness to developers and hopefully effect some
decision makers

If you think that this discussion should be canceled... no problem.

Artyom